Thursday, May 23, 2013

Brad's 7 Day Raw Challenge: Day 4 - Mmm Barbecue!



It’s Day 4 and we’re already over the halfway hump! Awesomeness! And today’s my last work day before a beautiful and hopefully relaxing 4-day long holiday weekend. Double awesomeness! I hope to do some recipe experimenting during the holiday weekend. On the top of my list: raw chocolate! So who’s ready to rawk this last work day?

Early Morning:

You know it! Lemon water! Although, I learned recently about a solution called sole – basically water saturated with Pink Himalayan salt. You add a teaspoon to a glass of water and drink before you start your day. The benefits? Ph balance, energy from 84 essential ionized minerals, lower cravings and heavy metal detox. Want more? Check out this fabulous link on all the benefits of drinking sole daily. I think I’ll be adding it to my morning routine. Just have to get Pink Himalayan Salt…the real stuff. I’ll keep you updated if I notice any changes in my body or energy levels when I start drinking sole. 

Source
Breakfast

Continuing my mono meals, I enjoyed a large plate of cold, juicy, sweet orange slices! 2 oranges and only 200 calories. Perfect for this icky, muggy day.


Mid-Morning:

It’s Thirsty Thursday’s which means, Vitamin Water time! This week I made water infused with pineapple chunks, kiwi slices, lime juice and mint. Yummers! Sorry for the horrid office pic.


Lunch

Yesterday afternoon my daughter pulled out a container of Barbecue Kettle Chips leftover from snack (eyes rolling!). The moment the scent of sweet, smoky barbecue hit my nose I knew I needed to make some raw barbecue sauce. However, at the same time, I was craving a cool, refreshing, crunchy romaine salad.  So I decided to combine them together to create this Deconstructed Raw Barbecue Chili Salad. Loaded with chopped fresh veggies, ones you would find in a raw chili, and topped with a smoky, sweet raw barbecue sauce, you’ll feel guilty for eating a guiltless, low-fat salad!
Now, I’m new to making raw barbecue sauce so I turned to the one chef I knew I could trust to make a recipe that would fool even the most committed barbecue eating omnis: Russel James aka the Raw Chef. His recipe for Barbecue Kale Chips (sans the kale chips of course) proved my assumptions were correct. A few adjustments later, it was perrrfect.

Deconstructed Raw Barbecue Chili Salad

Sauce adapted from Russell James
Salad by Beth Mickens
Serves 1 large salad


Raw Barbecue Sauce
  • ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for 1 hour
  • 5 dates, soaked for 1 hour
  • 1 ½ tsp of coconut oil
  • ¾ Tbsp of nama shoyu or gluten-free tamari
  • 1 ½ tsp of apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ tsp smoked paprika
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ - ½ tsp of chipotle powder (the more the spicier)
  • 14-1/2 cup soaking water depending on desired consistency as well as softness of dates and sun-dried tomatoes
  1. Place all the ingredients into a small blender or food processor with only 3 Tbsp of the water starting off and blend.
  2. Add more water until desired consistency is reached and the sauce is well blended and smooth. I prefer a thick sauce. 
  3. Set aside.
Salad:
  • 2- 3 cups of romaine lettuce, shredded
  • 2-4 Tbsp of each:
    • Carrots, shredded
    • Celery, chopped
    • Red and/or Green Bell Pepper, chopped
    • Green Onions or white onions, sliced or chopped
    • Zucchini, diced
    • Mushrooms, chopped
    • Grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/3 avocado, sliced, garnish
  • 1/4 cup raw spicy barbecue sauce (From above recipe)
  1. In a serving bowl or plate, layer salad in any decorative way that you prefer. I like my veggies separated.
  2. Add a large dollop of barbecue sauce in the middle or pour if you went for a thinner consistency.
  3. Top with a few slices of avocado.
  4. Serve fresh or the next day. 
Snacks:

Shockingly, just a banana. I did make some raw chocolate chip cookie dough nut butter to nibble on later. Want the recipe!?


Dinner:

Another smoothie inspired by Kobi Kenzo. This one was a unique blend of mango and chai, something I never considered adding together. I love the combination of something cool, tart and tropical with something warm, earthy and spicy. Yummers!

Mango Chai Lassi

Inspired by Kobi Kenzo
Makes 16 oz

  • 1-2 handful of greens
  • 1 scoop of raw protein powder, chai flavor (I used Garden of Life)
  • ¼ cup young coconut meat, packed
  • 1 - 1 1/4 cup frozen mango
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • ½ frozen banana (optional, for additional sweetness)
  • Aloe and turmeric (optional)
    1. Blend and go!
And there you have it! Day 4 is out!
Do you think you could rawk this challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment